Friday, March 16, 2012

Post from Chad: Magical Outdoors

Some 20-odd-years ago my parents purchased a small ranch in South-Central Oklahoma. Since then I have  taken several nice deer in the 130's, a couple in the 140's, and one deer that I'm sure would have made it in the 150's. Unfortunately, I did not find him till a year later. I have been fortunate enough to see some great deer.  I have even taken a shot at a deer I later learned was killed by another hunter that scored over the 180 mark. Over the years there have been deer that I am blessed to have the privilege of seeing while hunting: a 1-year-old 10-point with split g2's, a 3-year-old with a great 130+ 14-point rack, and just two years ago a 22+ point buck. Yes, there are a lot of people that see these types of deer, but not everyone gets to see and help grow them on their own place.

I do not think anyone will disagree when I say a hunter's main goal is to see and grow big bucks.  However, one thing I have had the pleasure of seeing in my hunting career is a piebald deer. Yes, piebald deer!  For anyone that has not seen one, they are colored similar to an English pointer. About 10 years ago while hunting up the hill from our small cabin at the ranch, I saw something that, truthfully, scared the S!#T out of me. It looked like a ghost deer.  I thought this is it!  This is what I get for shooting all those small bucks!  He was facing me straight on and from his feet to his ears was solid white. When he finally turned broad side I could see that he had splotches of brown and white. I knew then that I was seeing something that I might never see again.  As I watched him, my young finger really wanted to pull the trigger on my gun, but the sportsman side of me told me not to. Still today, I am glad I didn't. Unfortunately, later on that year I was in a local hunting store and saw the picture of the same buck. Another hunter had taken the deer. I was broken hearted.  I thought for sure that I would never see anything like that again.

Well, I was wrong.  As most of you know, we had an extreme drought this year in, what I call, the southern part of the Midwest.  In June I started getting pictures of bucks and does at the feeders and protein stations, when I usually only have pics of hogs and coons.  I had some funny looking pictures on my camera and one of the deer had some funny coloring to it. I was having a hard time telling if it was the deer or the camera.  My camera had started malfunctioning  and taking bad pics, so immediately I purchased a new one which worked great. It was then I realized there was another piebald deer in the woods. She is just a yearling doe, but I was fortunate enough to see her on several occasions, and I am hoping to watch her grow over the next few years.



As hunters there are things that we take for granted, but keep in mind you are seeing things that most people do not, or something that you may not get the chance to see again.      -Chad

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chad I had never heard of a piebald deer, Peggy was telling me about them. Thank heavens for the Iphone and Google, I had to look them up. I hope when Evan gets old enough you and Jamie will teach him to hunt. Loved the blog and the pictures. Aunt Brenda

      Delete